Solution Messaging is a repeatable and reliable methodology that enables marketers to develop differentiated positioning messages for their products and services.
Solution Messaging shows buyers how the marketers’ differentiated positioning messages for their products and services solve customer problems and create value. In addition, this methodology helps marketers to apply those messages in practical and impactful ways to improve the effectiveness of promotional and sales activities.
Solution Messaging helps marketing teams to change their mindset from a product and feature-centric perspective, to one that emphasizes the value of solutions for customers’ problems and critical business issues.
Solution-centric messages enable sellers to more clearly express the differentiated value of offerings to buyers, and thus win more opportunities, sell a broader set of the solution portfolio, and close business at higher margins. Product marketers can use solution-centric messaging to generate higher quality leads from optimally targeted buyers, differentiate solution capabilities more clearly against competitive alternatives, and improve the sales results on the launches of new and upgraded products and services.
Solution Messaging is based on a repeatable process which includes practical methods and tools for developing effective solution-centric messages, and then applying those messages to a wide variety of marketing and sales purposes.
Solution Messaging is designed for product marketing managers, marketing support teams, industry marketing professionals and marketing executives. Representative inclusion of sales and sales support functions is recommended to enhance the usability of results in the field.
What is included in the Solution Messaging program?
Designed to provide a repeatable methodology for building highly differentiated, solution-focused positioning messages, Solution Messaging enables marketing teams to:
- Generate product marketing messaging that can be used effectively throughout the entire buyer engagement cycle
- Align marketing activities with how targeted buyers actually buy
- Identify a strong set of defensible differentiators for a solution
- Identify ideal target buyer personae, and tailor effective solution messaging for each
- Enable sales professionals to engage in insightful and valuable conversations with optimally targeted buyers
- Develop solution-centric content that can be applied effectively to a wide variety of marketing and sales activities
Voice of the Buyer Research and Competitive Analysis
Solution Messaging begins with pre-workshop interviews of a representative sample of target customers and prospects, in order to develop a meaningful understanding of the “Voice of the Buyer,” conducted by an SPI consultant. Further, SPI will conduct a review of competitive alternatives by examining competitors’ product positioning in web content and collateral materials. The findings of this research will be provided in a summarized report and will be used as a pre-workshop reading assignment for participants.
Interactive Application Workshop
Solution Messaging is a hands-on application workshop facilitated by a highly qualified consultant. Each SPI facilitator has been certified to rigorous standards, and they each bring years of marketing experience to ensure their credibility and enhance facilitated discussions. Alternatively, SPI can certify client instructors for in-house delivery and coaching, at the client’s option.
Workshop Topical Agenda
Solution Messaging is a modular program, designed to be tailored to the unique requirements of each client. The standard instructor-led Solution Messaging workshop is a two-day, highly interactive program, and incorporates in-classroom application tools. The standard workshop includes:
Introduction to Solution Messaging
- Identify common difficulties in creating effective marketing messages
- Define the primary steps/components of effective sales process and where marketing messages play a key role
- Explain the importance of situational fluency and how effective marketing messages can help
- Navigate the steps of a buyer-driven sales process
- Describe the process for how buyers buy
- Define solution differentiation
- Explain characteristics of defensible solution differentiators
- Participant introductions and Voice of Buyer (VoB) research review, analysis, and discussion
- Construct a Pain Chain® showing organizational interdependence of critical business issues (“pains”) for a targeted buyer
Solution Messaging Flow Model
1. Identify Trigger Events
- Define key terms (e.g. sales trigger event)
- Explore tools that help monitor sales trigger events
- Identify sales trigger events that may align well with solution capabilities
2. Determine the value and uniqueness of a solution
- Explore components of a solution
- Examine differentiator characteristics and types
- Identify the process for critically appraising a clinical study
- Identify key clinical findings and explore examples of how they may be linked to key messages
- Identify and map solution components and capabilities; identify defensible differentiators
- Link differentiators to key messages
3. Define Key Players and Their Business Issues
- Define key terms (e.g. buyer persona)
- Describe roles and characteristics that key customer individuals may play in an opportunity
- Create a key players list that identifies multiple business issues for multiple roles, their key performance indicators, and representative profile
4. Distill Business Issues
- Identify the process to inventory business issues addressed by a solution
- Describe how to summarize business issues into a useful list for messaging
- Inventory business issues addressed by a solution and distill them into a prioritized list
5. Produce Messaging Snapshots
- Describe the intent and value of the Solution Messaging™ Card
- Explain and illustrate the components of Solution Messaging™ Card
- Create a Solution Messaging™ Card for an identified solution
6. Leverage Solution Messaging & Buyer Personas in Applications
- Explore various applications where solution messaging and buyer personas should be emphasized
- Identify steps to complete each selected application
- Team presentations to:
- Defend one Solution Messaging™ Card
- Identify and describe one application where the card will be used
- Describe how the card will be used in building the application
- Team presentations to:
- Implement best practices for ensuring adoption of Solution Messaging™
- Discuss next steps for completing the work started in the workshop
- Describe the action steps that you/your organization will take in the next 60-90 and 91-360 days to build several applications that leverage Solution Messaging™
The Solution Messaging Flow Model
The Solution Messaging workshop is designed with adult learning principles in mind. The program’s instructional materials facilitate participant understanding by using a mix of media to transmit and reinforce key learning points. SPI provides full-color training content in electronic interactive workbooks, for use on participants’ mobile devices or laptop computers, as well as color reference charts, animated presentations, and video content, where appropriate.
Solution Messaging provides marketing teams with a repeatable and practical methodology and skills for generating highly effective, solution-focused messages to customers. The outcomes of this methodology are higher sales of a broader range of offerings in the product portfolio, more successful new product launches, competitively differentiated messages in marketing promotions and sales conversations, more efficient use of sales and marketing resources, and higher operating margins.